Thursday, November 11, 2010

Piano Tuned!

The piano was tuned today.  I don't know exactly when it was last tune, but suffice it to say it has not been tuned since we moved here (four years ago).  It sounds SO much better! I actually practiced today just because I was enjoying the sound of it. 

The piano was sharp--I could hear that the second the guy played A440.  Woah.  The upper ranges were pretty bad, but the lower parts weren't too off. 

The dog did not love the tuner.  He tried howling a few times, but I managed to shush him.  Then he went outside for a while, and I think he liked the quiet out there so much that he stayed out there a long time. 

I pointed out one key that had a real twang to it, and I heard the tuner working that one quite a bit.  He pointed out at the end that it's more a product of the design of the piano than anything else.  It's right where the strings change and the pads change, too, so that's why it has that ring to it.  He calmed it down a bit, but it's been bothering me since 1976, so I suppose I should be used to it by now. 

Now I won't be embarrassed when my students play on it for lessons.  It was well worth the $95, and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment